Thursday, January 13, 2011

Does Moderation Work? - David Brooks and Gail Collins

A great column by two of my favorite columnists. Brooks talks of the virtues of moderation, and Collins talks about how the media fans the flames for attention and profit.

"Gail Collins: David, we can’t not talk about the shootings in Tucson. I know you’ve been wanting a more moderate and sane political dialogue. But I am sorry to admit that one of my thoughts is that the aftermath of Tucson proves how moderation doesn’t work."

Read more at:



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Really enjoyed the blog from Gail Collins and David Brooks. The Tucson thing was a real tragedy. I have many friends in love with handguns and I don’t really understand the attraction. As for the shooter, it’s another indictment on the lack of mental health care in this country and the mythology that the mentally ill have a “right” not to be subjected to involuntary treatment. This is a classic example of what happens. The same thing happened at Virginia Tech. It’s cheaper to pretend that people will seek treatment on their own, take medication on their own, and pretend that no problem exists until it is too late.

Been There